Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Paradox of Wit

Throughout my life, I have been impressed by, and to some extent, crave witty remarks.  I admire and envy envy those quick witted individuals can fire some off while grasping others'.  Needless to say, I try to be one of these people.

The contradiction I've found, however, is that wit is in the eye of the beholder.

What I mean is, that regardless of how clever a statement may be, if no one understands it, does it matter?

I suppose it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  If your goal is to impress those you are speaking to, saying something over their heads will not suit you.  If you are the type of person who amuses themselves, maybe that is exactly your plan.  Maybe you enjoy the confusion.

Generally speaking, perception is everything.  I doubt most people regularly surround themselves with others who do not understand them, or what they are saying.  Consider the following statement I found on a website:

  • I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

You can interpret this is as "I'm a risky person, so why be cautious with food" or "you're going to die someday" or somewhat more profound, "live life to the fullest".

But what if you take it literally?  What if you miss the subtle analogy?  Cholesterol obviously has nothing to do with driving fast.  The person saying this would appear moronic, or worse, insane!

In my opinion, witty remarks are said to demonstrate wisdom or intelligence.  The contradiction is that in using them, you run the risk of appearing the opposite.

Apparently there is a fine line between wittiness and stupidity.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, I love witty but when I'm witty over their heads, I feel dumb even though I know I'm clever and they're braincell challenged and feeble! lol...

    ReplyDelete

AmazonMobile

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *